When it comes to choosing the best Medical Transcription training program for oneself, it can be a very confusing a frustrating experience. We want to prove we have the best training program for you:
- A growing career field – We work closely with hundreds of medical transcription employers and our partners have more entry-level openings than qualified applicants. With Career Step training, you’ll have the skills needed for all of those openings.
- Flexible work schedules – Many medical transcriptionists choose their schedules, so you’ll have the freedom to work when it fits your life.
- Great income and benefits – Medical transcriptionists earn $34,050 a year** on average and most are paid on production, which means that the more you work the more you can make.
It is vitally important to be informed!
Be sure to request information from more than one school in order to compare which program is best for you.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
More Local Medical Transcription Training
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Health Informatics
- MS in Nursing - Informatics
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Medical Office Administration
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Health Information Management - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Electronic Health Records - Associate of Occupational Science
- Medical Billing and Coding - Diploma
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Associate's)
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
Looking for an alternative location? Use our in-depth search tool below to help you find the best school for your new career. Our database includes over 3000 ground schools or campuses, as well as thousands of online training. This helps you ensure you find a rewarding education.
How do you know what a quality program and school looks like? There are so many advertisements out there and they all look great and promise great things. One of the things we really don’t want to do is to pick a school that, when we go looking for that first job, turns out not to be one that the transcription employers look favorably on!
So how to choose?
Here are some guidelines you can use to help ensure you are picking the right training program for yourself. These guidelines are recommended by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI):
1. The program should be taught by qualified instructors who are credentialed experts in their respective fields.
2. The program should employ certified medical transcriptionists to teach medical transcription practice courses.
The experienced pros will be able to give you all kinds of assistance and show you tips and tricks that someone who has merely studied cannot.
3. The program should indicate the number of classroom hours students actually perform medical transcription.
4. The program should indicate the number of minutes of actual physician dictation used for practice (The Model Curriculum recommends 30 dictated hours of actual physician dictation.)
It is all right to start out with dictation not done by physicians for getting a feel for it, but you MUST have actual physician-dictated material to work with, or you will be lost when you get in the real world!
5. Will the school provide names and addresses of former students as references?
Contact them. Find out what they liked, and didn’t like.
6. Does the school have an advisory board? Does it include certified medical transcriptionists?
7. The program should indicate length of externship or on-the-job experience available (The Model Curriculum recommends 10 dictated hours of authentic physician dictation, for a total of 40 dictated hours during the training program.)
8. It should include relevant publications among its educational materials.
9. The school should use the AAMT Book of Style for Medical Transcription, 2nd edition in its training curriculum.
10. The program should be based on The Model Curriculum for Medical Transcription*, 3rd edition, published by AHDI, which recommends courses in the following:
* English grammar and punctuation
* Medical language
* Anatomy and physiology
* Disease processes
* Pharmacology and laboratory medicine
* Transcription technology
* Medical transcription practice
* Healthcare records
11. Privacy, ethics, and other medicolegal issues
12. Lastly, the school should offer job placement assistance.
This can be invaluable! What a relief to know that the school, with all its business contacts, is in your corner helping you find that all-important first job!
About The Author:
Pam Lyon is the author of “Inside Medical Transcription” — the real truth about the life of a medical transcriptionist. Pam is a 30-year veteran of the Transcription business, and has seen it all. If you are thinking about a career in Medical Transcription, you need this book! Visit => insidemedicaltranscription.com